Skip to main content

Pre-history

In the beginning there was sun print paper and laser print transparency negatives. And it worked. Well, it kind of worked. It was a miracle.  But of course it wasn't enough. It was just a taste of the possible. A sly inducement to to try mixing chemistry and coating paper.

Buying the New Cyanotype Kit and mixing the chemicals was a challenge, and the results were less successful. After near endless failures it seems that perhaps the paper, an expensive etching paper, was to blame. 

In 2015 we started over. After more failure we realized that we needed to print our negatives in color ink on the aging Epson 1270 we're using, and not only black ink. Apparently using color blocks UV better.  We also discovered using any old transparency material didn't work. We switched to  Pictorico TPU100 Premium OHP Transparency Film, which costs almost $1.00 a sheet.

The book "Easy Digital negatives" proved to not be as easy to implement as the title implied. but it helped. We have a "Wall of Failure." But still we carry on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yellow stain on cyanotypes. Problem solved!

At last, a problem with a solution. When we first started coating paper with our own cyanotype chemistry we were getting bad yellow stains. It turns out there are two ways to combat the ugly yellow. One is to add citric acid to to the first water bath when developing the print. The easier way is to add a bit to the sensitizer chemistry itself. We'd done that, but it turned out we hadn't been adding enough. So now, the yellow you see in the above print is a thing of the past. One problem solved, eight zillion to go.

Hello Cyanotype, meet Hydrogen Peroxide

You've exposed your cyanotype print and it just looks weird. You put it in a tray of water, and it looks better after a while, but still not all that wonderful. You dry it and wait three days for it to oxidize, or you could do something really fun: drop it into a tray of water with a little hydrogen peroxide. Be sure so say "Bam!"

Cyanotype Success at last

I think we're on the right road at last. We've made several changes to get to this point. Using the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 helped. It's the first printer that didn't fight us every step of the way with software issues, density problems, refusal to feed transparency material and clogged jets.

Having a printer we could trust let us get our adjustment curves closer to right than they've ever been.

We also made a few changes to our procedure. We gave up on coating with a rod. We just couldn't get the dark blue we wanted. Now we use a sponge brush. We coat, dry a while and coat again. It may use more chemistry, but it seems to be working.

We had a mental breakthrough on drying coated paper as well. We'd been letting it sit, but today we hung it on a line. It dried with less puddling, and a lot more quickly as well.

We'd been using a small contact frame. It worked, but it meant we could only expose one sheet at a time. We liberated a flat board, found some fo…